Welcome to the Greenfield Sustainable Master Plan project website!
|Master Plan News|
Master Plan Photo Contest Launched!
Enter the Greenfield Master Plan Photo Contest for a chance to win great prizes and get your picture included in the new Master Plan!
» View the Get Involved page for instructions and more information.
Master Plan Fall Community Gathering Held September 26th
GCTV Video: "What do YOU Like about Greenfield?”
After over a decade, the Town of Greenfield is embarking on a new Master Plan. But this isn’t your typical Master Plan – Greenfield is creating a Comprehensive Sustainable Master Plan. When completed, this Plan will be the vehicle for guiding sustainable community development for the next 10-20 years. Your involvement is a critical part of developing this Plan. We encourage you to explore this website to learn more about what goes into creating a Sustainable Master Plan and find out how to engage in the various online forums and when to attend the community workshops to help shape this Plan!
What is a Master Plan?
A municipal master plan serves as the Town’s primary policy statement on future development. Current trends will be assessed including natural and cultural resources, population, demographics, housing stock and economic opportunity. The legal basis for master planning in Massachusetts comes from Chapter 41, Section 81D of the General Laws of Massachusetts. This act encourages Planning Boards to create master plans as a basis for decision making regarding the long term physical development of the municipality.
A Master Plan:
- Tells a community what it looks like today and what direction it has decided it wants to go for the future.
- Is a policy guide and provides a framework for future land use decision-making and the physical development of the municipality.
- Is a method of translating the community's values into specific actions.
- Covers a time frame of about 10-20 years. It is assumed that shorter-term reviews will keep it current with the changing needs of the community.
- Is closely integrated with other municipal planning documents and initiatives.
Greenfield’s existing Comprehensive Master Plan was updated in 2001. While many aspects of this plan have been implemented and continue to provide valid guidance, there is a need to facilitate a new comprehensive planning effort that reflects current government structure and planning practices. This effort will build on the previous Master Plan and and other planning processes over the past decade.
What makes this Plan a Sustainable Master Plan?
Sustainability is the over-arching theme for the Greenfield Comprehensive Sustainable Master Plan. Each of the required elements of the Plan will balance social, economic and environmental resources to create strategies to meet the needs of current and future generations in Greenfield without compromising the systems on which they depend. Moving towards sustainability will require a new consciousness and commitment to do things differently than what has been done in the past. The plan will help Greenfield:
- Create a prosperous Greenfield in a changing world
- Foster equity and quality of life
- Develop affordable housing, health care, and transportation
- Enhance local jobs, food, recreation, education, arts and entertainment
- Support local efforts that address global issues
Planning for sustainability requires the community to engage in a comprehensive exercise to define, track and measure initiatives in order to address specific goals developed by the locality with input from stakeholders and the community. To date, only a small number of communities have developed Sustainable Master Plans, which makes Greenfield a pioneer and a leader in this field. The plan is as much about its development as it is the end result. Please visit the Get Involved page to learn more about the various approaches that will be used to prepare the Greenfield Sustainable Master Plan.